Our Mission Statement:
Our purpose as a nonprofit (501C3) organization will be to educate the public about the role that the honeybee plays in our own existence. This is achieved through programs made available to the public with emphasis on educational programs starting at the elementary level and working with seminars, hands on demonstrations, through electronic media & a yearly Honey Festival.
What we support
Through support from donors like you and other various fundraisers throughout the year, we are able to continue our mission to support education. Below is where we have used those funds.
- 2013: The beginning. Roland Warner beekeeping club became the first recipient of the Michigan Honey Festival. The beekeeping group overseen by mentor Mike Wiltse a special education teacher helps students learn through group involvement.
- 2014: Aquinas college's newly formed beekeeping group was chosen by the board of directors of the Michigan Honey Festival to receive monies raised by a custom hive contest and other fundraisers.
What to do when at the 5th Annual Michigan Honey Festival
- Sample some local honey! In fact, sample well over a dozen different styles and purchase your favorite!
- Enter the custom hive contest! Beekeepers tend to show off their artistic skills and here's a chance to show the world!
- Learn all about honeybees and pollinators. How to help them, and what is happening to them around the world.
- Listen to a well known highly skilled chef and learn how to prepare what he shows you, even taste a sample!
- Learn about adventures in beekeeping from Slovenia. Presented by the Michigan Honey Festival.
- Come see the newest Hummerbee forklift! This is for serious beekeepers who need that extra quality & help!
- Find out how Maryland got pesticides away from store shelves! We will have the Chief Apiary Inspector to speak on this and other talking points such as hive inspections. Should we be doing the same?
- Watch as a "live" bee hive is opened up and have all the components & it's occupants are explained to you.
- Sample some local honey! Find your favorite and purchase it here! All samples are on site
- Learn about planting for pollinators, you can even purchase plants from a well known nursery business on site!
- New beekeeper? We have all the talent here to help get you started, and to answer all your questions.
- Sample Michigan Made Honey Cakes, Custom Gourmet Granola, and of course, Honey!
- Children's Activities Area. Wear a bee suit just like the real beekeepers do! Feel brave? Go inside the bee tent and work the hive!
- Butterfly tent! Come feed the beautiful butterfly's and find out all about them & how much pollination they can do for us!
- Children's books by a well known author. Purchase from him and get an autograph!
- Purchase all your beekeeping needs! All the biggest wholesalers in Michigan are here to sell you what you need!
- Join a local beekeeping club. Want to form a club? We will help you get started with all the right contacts!
- Want to expand your beekeeping hobby? We have AWS Bees that can help you step into the commercial sector.
- Taste some of the best "Honey" Ice Cream in Michigan, made just for the Michigan Honey Festival!
- Get your honey judged by one of Michigan's top honey judges!
- Speakers & presenters all day long! Join in on an in depth Q&A about laws & insurance concerns keeping bees!
- Sample some mead. This is a "wine" made from honey & will really fool you with all the varieties & flavors!
- Honey Extraction demonstrations. Learn how to get that liquid gold from your hives into your jars!
- Purchase insurance for your beekeeping hobby. Sound crazy? Not to those of us who insure ours!
- Soaps, lotions, oils, paintings, tee shirts, custom mugs, fancy woodworking, & much much more.